Sunday, December 2, 2007

Day 9 & 10 Chang Sha to Beijing

I have to combine today's as yesterday the results of my second attempt at eating Sichwaun food came in. Whatever spice that is added to the food, definitely does not agree with me and it was touch and go as to whether I would actually be able to get onto the plane. Fortunately the security guys let me through and with great self-control I made it to the plane. We did make it to Beijing by mid-afternoon, at which point I was well on the way to recovery. Needless to say that night I was pretty careful about what I ate!

Today we had a thoroughly touristy day and it was great fun. We spent the morning at the Beijing Aquarium and Zoo. The Aquarium was most impressive boasting a dolphin show, a shark exhibit and a magnificent coral exhibit that you can walk under, through, around and view from above. The rich coral was amazing complete with many different species of fish, sea turtles, rays, eels and other reef animals. Riding the escalator which goes through a glassed in tunnel through the reef was spectacular. The kids were as enthralled as we are. Unfortunately the Zoo was not as careful with the animal habitats and it was quite disheartening to see single elephants in iron bar cages. Even the Pandas were in pretty bleak enclosures. Quite a contrast to the Aquarium.

In the evening we took in the Chinese Acrobatic show and I have to admit to a bit of anxiety for the safety of the performers as they completed acts that did not look humanly possible. The set changes and music was spectacular and it was an exhilarating act. Dinner tonight was more Mongolian hot pot. Yummy.

Tomorrow we are off to the various street markets to buy Christmas presents while Christo and Steph take their new daughter for her health exam in order to get her passport. Five days until we leave and still so much to see!

No comments: