Monday, December 3, 2007

Day 11 - Shopping in Beijing

For those of you that know me, you will know that I hate shopping. I don't even grocery shop unless I absolutely have to. So you will be amazed to know that not only did I spend the entire day shopping, but that I attended two of the biggest Markets in Beijing and took great pleasure in haggling. In fact I was able to purchase almost all of my Christmas presents in addition to the obligatory returning home gifts.

This shop was somewhat different in that I set out in the morning with my cousin and her two daughters. We taxied our way to the Ya Xie Market where all of the local people and ex-pats shop. There we met Margaret's brother and sister-in-law, their eleven year old daughter and their newly adopted three year old daughter. Normally I wouldn't even consider this type of shopping with my own children let alone a three year old. Yet somehow the excitement of the bartering experience and the exotic items on offer made the whole adventure great fun for everyone. After lunch we headed off to the famous Silk Market. Seven floors of packed flea market type stalls. By four thirty I was sure that my arms were six inches longer and my feet considerably flatter. With the exception of three year old Zhu Wei the other girls were still game for more shopping. But we called it a day and headed back to our hotel where we congratulated each other on our successes and oohed and ahhed over the various novel items we had discovered and acquired. What fun!

For the first night in eleven days the eight of us called in room service and I listened while Margaret, Christo and Steph remembered fondly their past and present adoption experiences. They talked about their groups that travelled together and still have annual get-togethers. They discussed the various up and downs, thrills, joys and fears that the adoption experience involved. As a mother of five natural children I could have never imagined the very special experience that the adoption process is - and watching the love and closeness of the adopted daughters and their parents I know that adoption is truly a gift for everyone involved.

Tomorrow we are off to the Great Wall. We have discussed the various options of places to see it. We have chosen a medium distance location, not as popular with the tourists and full of difficult approaches with cobbled stones and may stairs. Christo will piggy back Marg if necessary and Steph and I will guide the children and carry the wheel chair. We are all keen to take on our next adventure together.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow..

No comments: